Where the Heart of Wine Beats – Osso Bucco Wine Pairing
What to serve with a hearty dish of Osso Bucco? A red that echos the wine it’s cooked in—and a light, well-balanced Rioja Reserva is the perfect choice.
Osso Buco Ingredients:
- 1 beef shank, sliced in rounds through the bone. About 5 pieces. (Have your local butcher prepare).
- Salt & pepper
- 2 Quarts beef stock
- One 14oz. can of tomatoes
- ½ bottle of Rioja Viña Pomal Gran Reserva
- 2 carrots, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 leek, cut in 3 inch pieces
- Season beef with salt and pepper and refrigerate overnight.
- Dry the meat on paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 290°F
- Place in a 3.5 qt. Dutch oven dish on stove, over medium-high heat, sear beef in batches until evenly browned.
- Remove beef and rest while you pan roast the carrot and leek (about 5 minutes).
- Deglaze with the wine and allow to cook for 7 minutes or until it reduces by half.
- Add the beef, stock and tomatoes and bring to a simmer and place lid on pot.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 3 hours or until the meat becomes fork tender.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for an hour, then serve the Osso Bucco with your favorite pasta and gremolata.
2010 Pagos del Rey Castillo de Albai Gran Reserva – Buy USA
2012 Bodegas Bilbainas Vina Pomal Gran Reserva – Buy USA
La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 904 Tinto 2011 – Buy USA