Rioja: A Thanksgiving Staple Featured in Forbes Magazine
Forbes Magazine is highlighting Rioja Wine for the holiday.
Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and for many wine enthusiasts, that means it’s time to start thinking about the perfect pairings for their holiday feast. We are proud to be highlighted in Forbes Magazine’s recent article, “20 of the Coolest and Most Delicious Wines for Your Thanksgiving Dinner.” Rioja our, renowned wine region in Spain, has long been a favorite among Thanksgiving wine enthusiasts, and for good reason. Its rich, complex flavors and smooth tannins make it an ideal complement to the savory dishes that grace the Thanksgiving table.
A Wine for Every Thanksgiving Dish
Rioja’s versatility extends to its ability to pair well with a wide variety of Thanksgiving dishes. As highlighted in Forbes Magazine, the rich, savory flavors of turkey and stuffing are perfectly complemented by the oaky notes of Rioja, while the creamy texture of mashed potatoes pairs beautifully with the wine’s smooth tannins. Even the tartness of cranberry sauce finds a harmonious balance with Rioja’s sweetness.
Rioja’s Featured Role in Forbes Magazine
Rioja’s popularity has not gone unnoticed by the wine world’s leading publications. In a recent article, Forbes magazine highlighted Rioja as one of the “20 Most Delicious & Cool Wines for Your Thanksgiving Dinner.” The article praised Rioja’s “elegance and finesse” and its ability to “deliver on ripe decadent red and black fruit notes as well as structure and balance.”
Recommendations for the Thanksgiving Table
As we approach the festive season with Thanksgiving on the horizon, it’s prime time to guide your customers to the perfect wine choices for their celebrations. Rioja, a storied wine from Spain, is the hero we recommend for this year’s holiday tables, and here’s how you can effectively communicate its appeal to Rioja drinkers and fans. Don’t just take our word for it, take the word of Forbes Magazine.
The Essentials of Rioja: Educate Customers
Start by informing clientele about the essence of Rioja. Originating from a prestigious region in Spain, Rioja wines are predominantly derived from the Tempranillo grape, revered for its ability to age gracefully in oak barrels. This maturation process endows Rioja with an exceptional complexity that’s a match made in heaven for the diverse flavors of Thanksgiving dinner.
Classifying Rioja: Prime Wine Shoppers
The different categories of Rioja might daunt customers. Simplify:
- Crianza: Suggest this as a superb starting point, especially for those new to Rioja. It’s aged for at least one year in oak and is versatile enough to handle Thanksgiving dishes.
- Reserva: For a more discerning palate, offer Reserva with its two-year oak aging. It’s a step up, perfect for those who enjoy a wine with a bit more structure.
- Gran Reserva: When your customer desires the epitome of Rioja’s offerings, guide them towards Gran Reserva. With a minimum of five years aging, these wines are for the connoisseurs at the table, making any holiday meal an event to remember.
Navigating Rioja Wines for Thanksgiving Pairings
As highlighted in the Forbes Magazine piece, Thanksgiving wine isn’t just about being delicious, it’s about being cool. We know that choosing the right wine is a very important task, so we’ve put together a list of recommendations to help you find and suggest the perfect pairing for your Thanksgiving feast.
Dry, Crisp White Wines
For a refreshing white wine that pairs well with Thanksgiving dishes, we recommend these selections:
- Izadi Seleccion: This Viura from Rioja is aged for six months in stainless steel tanks. It has a bright aroma of citrus, apple, and mineral and a crisp, refreshing flavor with lively acidity.
- El Pacto: Has a fresh aroma of citrus, peach, and green apple and a clean, crisp flavor with zesty acidity.
- Manzanos: Has a vibrant aroma of citrus, peach, and white flowers and a lively, refreshing flavor with bright acidity.
Fruity, Refreshing Red Wines
If you’re looking for a red wine that is lighter and more fruit-forward, we suggest these options:
- Conde de los Andes It’s a great choice for those who prefer a more approachable red wine.
- Bodegas Ramon Bilbao ‘Mirto’ Edicion Especial: This Tempranillo from Rioja is aged for six months in French oak barrels. It has a bright aroma of cherry, raspberry, and licorice and a lively flavor with soft tannins.
- Lan Edicion Limitada: This Tempranillo from Rioja is aged for 12 months in American oak barrels. It has a rich aroma of blackberry, plum, and vanilla and a full-bodied flavor with firm tannins.
Full-bodied, Complex Red Wines
For those who prefer a bold and flavorful red wine, we recommend the following:
- La Rioja Alta S.A. Gran Reserva: This classic Rioja is made from Tempranillo grapes and aged for a minimum of five years in oak barrels. It has a complex aroma of blackberry, spice, and leather and a long, velvety finish.
- Monte Real Gran Reserva: Another Rioja gem, Monte Real Gran Reserva is aged for a minimum of six years in oak barrels. It has a rich aroma of plum, cedar, and tobacco and a full-bodied flavor with firm tannins.
- Contino Reserva: This Rioja Reserva is made from a blend of Tempranillo, Graciano, and Mazuelo grapes. It has a ripe aroma of cherry, currant, and vanilla and a smooth, elegant flavor with fine tannins.
These recommendations as are to help find the perfect wine for a Thanksgiving celebration. No matter the preferred style, we’re sure there is a Rioja wine that will complement this festive meal. Thanks to Forbes Magazine for featuring Rioja!